Washington County Tourism Tax Advisory Board
Capital Project Funding Application
(Also a “study” for UCA 17-50-303)
The mission of the Washington County Tourism Tax Advisory Board (“Tourism TAB”) is to make recommendations on the expenditure of funds collected from the Transient Room Tax (“TRT”) (as described in Utah Code Section 59-12-301) and the Tourism, Recreation, Cultural, Convention, and Airport Facilities Tax (“TRCC”) (as described in Utah Code Section 59-12-603).
Washington County created a co-funding program to help secure and support activities that will infuse economic impact, and enrich the quality of life for residents. The Tourism TAB receives and reviews applications from three types of entities; non-profit, for-profit, and governmental. Applications from non-profit entities are received twice a year – no later than March 1 and no later than August 1. Applications from for-profit entities are received once a year – no later than August 1. Applications from governmental entities are received as needed and will be scheduled on the agenda for the next available meeting of the Tourism TAB.
The Tourism TAB receives applications for the following types of funding: Sports/Event Funding, Capital Project Funding, Marketing Funding, and Sponsorships. To receive funding, projects must directly generate hotel room nights or have another articulable positive tourism impact in Washington County.
Project Funding is intended for projects that will increase/improve tourism within the area, such as: tourism facilities, venues, trails, or recreation infrastructure projects. These projects should be submitted by a governmental entity.
TRT and TRCC funds may only be appropriated in furtherance of tourism or related activities or projects. The county may only appropriate money if, in the judgment of the county legislative body, the funding will contribute to the safety, health, prosperity, moral well-being, peace, order, comfort, or convenience of county residents.
Preference will be given to applicants that accomplish the following:
- Create new economic impact
- Add positive marketing exposure for the area
- Introduce new audiences/markets
- Fill hotel rooms during shoulder, off-season and weekdays
- Fill a critical recreation or tourism-related need
- Complete the attached application
- Applicants may be asked to present the request to the Tourism TAB and/or to the Washington County Commission during a regular meeting.
- Applicants will be notified via email of the approval or denial of the request.
- Applicants must provide a recap report following the project’s completion. Failure to provide a recap report may result in funds not being awarded and/or a denial in future years.
- In the event the project or event for which funds were requested does not materialize, funds will not be dispersed. If funds have already been dispersed, they will need to be reimbursed in full.
Applicant must submit the following:
- Completed Application
- Proof of Non-Profit Status (if applicable)
- Letters of Support from Communities/Agencies Impacted
- Marketing Plan
- Budget Overview (Please submit the event budget along with the following questionnaire)
Failure to provide this required information will result in application not being processed.
Awarded funds will be paid to the event/project organization listed on the application as reimbursement for approved expenditures. The event/project organization is responsible to contract and pay for any expenses for the event. To initiate payment for approved expenditures, the event/project organization must provide a completed Post Event Report and an invoice with supporting documentation for expenses. Invoices must be submitted within 45 days after the event and must be received prior to the end of the calendar year for the event. Event hosting fees may be considered separately.
All applications must be submitted using this online form. Failure to provide this required information will result in application not being processed. Also, please note that you will NOT be able to save this application in process, so prepare to have all application materials on hand before beginning this online application. For reference, see PDF copy of application.