It’s freedom, exploration, and adrenaline all rolled into one. Experience a wide variety of ATV trails, ranging from mountain forests to desert lowlands, rocky overlooks, and rolling sand dunes.
Greater Zion is one of the most scenically diverse places in the United States, in the midst of all the landscapes, spend some time hunting for ancient petroglyphs, narrow slot canyons, and beautiful sunsets on every ATV ride.
See also Jeep & Off-Road activities.
Recommended Places to Ride
Experience a true desert off-road adventure through sand dunes, canyons, and towering mesas. A popular loop is laid out on this trail map, but the area is open to free-roaming and exploring without sticking to a set path. Either approach to this iconic destination is full of fun and jaw-dropping views.
Enjoy this 45-mile loop that starts out at the quaint town of Gunlock. Designated as a Natural Landmark, this trail features groves of brilliant Joshua trees standing out against the sweeping desert plains and mountains. Home to the northern-most grove of Joshua trees in the United States, this is an ideal spring ride during the wildflower bloom. All about the scenic views, this gem won’t push your driving skills, as the trail is easily navigated. But won’t disappoint either.
Spanning the northern section of Greater Zion, this destination in the Dixie National Forest flies under the radar. Stud Horse Draw features high desert and alpine environments with beautiful pine and juniper trees. Wild horses call this region home and make for the true highlight of this 50-mile loop.
Know the conditions, the area, and observe these precautions:
- Bring a map
- Download GPS coordinates of the trails you want to ride
- Bring extra fuel and water in case you’re out longer than planned
- Always let someone know where you’re going
- Practice Leave No Trace principles and respect the wilderness areas
- Have a tall ATV flag mounted on your rig for safety and visibility
- Ride only in designated areas
Please Note/Best Practices
- ATVs are not allowed in Zion National Park. However, you’ll catch glimpse of the Zion peaks from various trails throughout the area.
- Observe posted signs and fenced areas, as these are marking sensitive habits for plant and/or animal habitat.
- Respect private property.
- All vehicles should be registered with state agencies.
Guides and Outfitters
An ATV outfitter (see list below) can provide the ATV machines and all the accessories for guided adventures or exploring on your own. The guides know the places where rock formations create unique life-like shapes and where the scenic views are most spectacular.
Interactive Trails Map
Plan your next adventure in southwestern Utah using our interactive map. The map is easy-to-use and includes suggested ATV/UTV trails from red rock deserts to alpine mountains. Trails can be filtered based on activity, difficulty, and distance. When you find your next trail, you can download it, share it, and print the map and directions for offline accessibility.